Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Day 77 - Knee Update

On the 8th I went to visit and orthopedic doctor about my knee. He took some X-rays, did an examination and said that he believed that there was some inflamed cartilage under my knee cap and a fold in the capsule that surrounds my knee that was also inflamed. (He actually had medical names for both of these conditions but I do not remember what they were.) After going over the history of the treatment I have tried already and how effective it was, the doctor presented me with two options. 1) I could get a cortisone shot in the knee or 2) I could go in for surgery. If the cortisone shot did not work after a couple of weeks, or if in a month or two the knee flared back up, then I would need to consider the surgery.

Well, needless to say, I opted for the shot. It has been just over a week and there is definitely improvement in the knee but it is still not back to normal. I am waiting to see if it continues to get better or if levels out. After about a month if it is still the same as it is today then I will need to go back for the surgery.

I was encourage though by the doctor because he said he believed the problem to be correctable and the surgery would only put me out a couple of days. I will keep you posted on how it goes.

TODAY'S STATS

Calories: 2562
Weight: 253.5 lbs
Mood: Kinda indifferent and definitely tired
Total Weight Lost: 11.5 lbs since 1/1/09

No comments:

Post a Comment